Can't Stop Cheating On Keto?


Jar of Cake Pops with Sprinkles
What does your low-carb personality say
about the way you diet?

A keto lifestyle demands radical changes in the way you eat and think.

These changes can often be difficult to stick with, so difficult that many dieters choose to eat off plan at least once during the weight-loss phase.

Family pressures, work parties, holidays, and even the amount of time you spend mourning your favorite foods can all contribute to the way you choose to do keto.



Some dieters are more strict than others, but there is nothing wrong with flexibility.

Over the years, I've observed that low-carb dieters tend to come in five distinct varieties:

Pinterest Image: Woman Happy

Low-Carb Dieter #1: The Die-Hard


Die-hards believe you should never ever cheat on a low-carb diet, even on holidays or your birthday. There are no excuses.

They have a particular list of ketogenic foods that they believe everyone should stick to, and they are not shy about letting you know if you eat something that is not on their acceptable list.

They believe that flexibility means you are not truly committed to your keto lifestyle.

Low-Carb Dieter #2: Flexible Dieter


These dieters take up the low-carb baton, willingly, but aren’t as fanatical about the details. They are much more flexible about the whole keto process.

They eat what they believe are low-carb foods, but they don’t count how many carbohydrates they’re eating on a daily basis.

They don’t know if they are within standard ketogenic guidelines, or not, but they are not concerned about it because they’re either losing weight their own way, or they’re happy with their improved health.

These keto dieters will go off plan for the holidays, their birthday, and sometimes during social engagements, but then they’ll climb right back into the wagon and continue their low-carb journey.


Low-Carb Dieter #3: Cyclical Dieters


These low carbers fluctuate between being a die-hard and being overly relaxed.

They will strongly stick to Atkins Induction for a few weeks, never cheating, but as the restrictiveness of being very low carb begins to wear thin, or the temptation to cheat becomes too strong, they will become more flexible.

Where the relaxed dieter can easily climb back onto their keto plan once they’ve satisfied their need to eat normally, the cyclical dieter often finds themselves face down in the carbs.

They have so much trouble getting back on plan, that they usually gain part of their weight back, and sometimes, all of it, before they try again.

Low-Carb Dieter #4: Typical Cheater


And then there is the person who can’t stick with a low-carb diet for more than a few days before the pull to cheat is too strong. They go into an unconscious binge before they wake up and discover what they’ve done.

Sometimes it’s cyclical behavior, and sometimes it’s flexible, but they never really get the chance to lose much weight, and sometimes they even gain more, because their mind talks them into refilling their glycogen stores almost as soon as they’ve been emptied.

These keto dieters cannot make it through the Atkins Induction phase. Their need to cheat is far too strong.


Low-Carb Dieter #5: Chosen Ones


There are also a chosen few who are die-hards for most of the year, but allow themselves the luxury of participating in planned cheats. They are more strict than those who have a relaxed style of dieting because they do count their daily carbohydrates and do eat from a select list of keto-friendly foods.

Their cheats are small and well controlled because that’s all they need to feel satisfied.

Those who practice controlled free meals and refeeds would fit into this category.

Exaggerated Caricatures? 

Granted, these are exaggerated caricatures, but they do illustrate the wide variety of eating styles that can be found within the low-carb community.

Some of these eating styles are more friendly to fat loss than others.

I’ve even experienced or purposely tried a few myself.

Regardless of a die-hard’s unforgiving attitude, no style is better than any of the others. These are just the patterns that I’m aware of.

Subconscious Mind Drives Cheating


These patterns of thinking and eating are so distinct from one another, it makes it difficult (but not impossible) to make solid recommendations regarding cheating on a low-carb diet. What drives you to overeat carbohydrates isn’t necessarily something that you can easily control – especially for those who experience a strong famine response to dieting.

Toy Truck Pushing Caviar Off a Rice Cake
Urges to cheat come from the subconscious mind.
Resisting is like going head-to-head with a dump truck!




The mind and body are wired toward survival, and that’s what many dieters fight against: the mind and body’s determination to survive at all costs.

It can be shocking to come to the realization that the mind and body would rather be fat than thin, but in my low-carb journey so far, that’s the epiphany I’ve sadly come to. Urges to cheat come from a mind driven to replenish its fat stores.

The subconscious mind is in control, and when our conscious ideals and goals butt heads with our unconscious programming, the subconscious mind always wins.

ALWAYS!

That doesn’t leave us in a very good position.

It feels rather hopeless actually.

And that hopelessness and reinforcement only gets stronger when you take the time to actually LOOK at what’s going on within the low-carb community today.

Very, very few individuals ever reach their goal weight. The subconscious mind somehow finds a way to trick us into giving up our weight-loss goal.

That’s reality.

Luckily, for those of us who are still trying, there are a handful of low-carb success stories available, such as a man who used to participate at Low Carb Friends who went by the name of Avid.

I talked about him a little bit in my last post about coffee and heavy cream. He’s gone from 180 pounds to 131. He reached goal weight on June 5, 2013.

However, the last five pounds did require him to lower his daily calories, which he chose to do by cutting down on how much coffee he drank, as well as how much heavy cream he was putting in it.

While losing 51 pounds is a tremendous accomplishment and should be celebrated, the sad part of this story is that it fits into my 50-Pound Theory.

What is My 50-Pound Theory?


Metal Weights
Here is my 50-pound theory.
It describes why I believe people stall
part way to goal weight.

For awhile, I’ve been watching people within the low-carb community that have actually make it all of the way to goal weight, and it has prompted a few questions.
  • What sets them apart from the rest of us?
  • Why do some of us completely stall out when we’re still so far away from a healthy weight?
  • Why does the mind and body do everything in its power to trick us into eating too many carbs?
  • Why does someone go from a die-hard eating style to someone who cannot stick to a low-carb diet for more than few days?
At first, I entertained the theory put forth by the BloodSugar 101 website that the body will only allow you to lose a certain percentage of your body fat before it puts on the breaks. But that doesn’t explain how people like Avid have been able to succeed.

Obviously, he has lost more than 15 or 20 percent of his weight, so what makes him different? What made Dr. Atkins’ personal success different?

At one time, the popular theory within the low-carb community that tried to explain this phenomena was called the One Golden Shot Theory.

Many guessed that a low-carb diet ceased to work if you yo-yo’d back-and-forth between keto and a high-carb diet too often. In fact, Dr. Atkins even warned his readers about abusing Induction for that very reason.

It could backfire in your face and stop working completely.

However, looking at my own weight loss and weight-gain patterns, I’m now considering that it’s about absolute poundage lost rather than a percentage.

It seems that when I look at success stories, people that have about 50 to 60 pounds to lose, or less, do very well on a low-carb diet – provided they stick with the plan. This might be because they hit maintenance about the same time that the body catches on and stalls.

Those of us who started out with a hundred pounds to lose, or more, tend to stall when we are still far away from goal weight.

When we attempt to push the issue, to force our bodies to give up more of its fat stores then those first 50 to 60 pounds, eventually, one of the non die-hard low-carb eating patterns I described above raises their head to try and stop us from succeeding.

In my own case, I’m sad to say it worked.

Is There Any Hope of Overcoming the Subconscious Mind?


Honestly?

I don’t know!

Every low-carb diet I’ve attempted since I lost my initial 100 pounds has only left me heavier than I was before.

It’s getting very disheartening.

I managed to get down to 145 pounds after completing a round of the HCG diet, but I wasn’t able to maintain that loss. Not because the diet is not sustainable. You move to a low-carb diet after 6 weeks, but I couldn't maintain the loss because of the amount of calories it took to sustain that 145 pounds after eating only 500 a day for 6 weeks.

I just couldn’t do it.

When I regained and reached about 160, which was a little less than a 100-pound weight loss, I found that more livable. It was maintainable. However, that quickly changed when I attempted to do Jimmy Moore's version of Nutritional Ketosis, a low-protein, low-carb, super high-fat diet.

Eating high-fat only packed on more pounds.

It was a big mistake on my part, because I was following a small low-carb subset, but I had HOPE.

And hope was what I needed at that moment.

Unfortunately, it backfired in my face. I quickly went from 160 pounds to the 190 that I weigh today before my weight stabilized.

Not pretty.

In fact, I was literally shocked when the DMV recently took my picture for my driver’s license. I had no idea I looked that bad again!

But the drop in metabolic rate that the high-fat diet caused has not corrected itself.

So Where Do I Go From Here?


There are so many different ketogenic camps today.

The low-carb community has severely fractured into many different keto tribes, with each group standing opposed to the others, and screaming, “We have the truth. We will lead you to salvation.”

But I don’t believe that anymore.

I have come to realize that no one has the truth. Especially me. The world that existed when Dr. Atkins first started his low-carb revolution no longer exists.

Our food is more genetically altered, contaminated with chemicals, drenched in pesticides, and lacking in nutritional density than it was in 1972.

Our meat is full of antibiotics and hormones that have messed with our gut flora and intestinal health.

We live in a sterilized, fear-of-germs world.

At the moment, my best suggestion is to continue eating a nutrient-dense diet. That’s quite a bit easier these days because we have moved further north to where my husband currently works.

Healthy foods are easy to get here, but those nutrient-dense foods haven’t affected my weight at all.

My right knee and neurological issues are acting up again under the excess weight, however, so . . .

I HAVE TO DO SOMETHING . . .

I just don’t know what. 

Maybe a more gentle, backdoor approach that doesn’t trigger the famine response would be best.

UPDATE: The backdoor approach is what I chose to do and it worked quite well for me. I managed to carve off 40 pounds over the course of a year. Check it out if you're struggling to make keto work for you.

To help with cravings, also drop by our article that offers 12 strategies for taking charge of your cravings. Sometimes, keto isn't enough. You also have to get the mind in the game.

Vickie Ewell Bio



Comments

  1. I think I fit into #5. I plan for my cheats and I count carbs and calories. I keep a daily food log. I've lost a lot of weight, from a high of 437lbs to my current weight of 229 but it is coming off much slower now and I find I gain and lose the same two or three pounds over and over. My goal was to get down to 135lb or so but now I think I'd be happy if I can get to 175-190, just to be under 200lbs. I also hope I can maintain the weight loss once I finally get there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Losing over 200 pounds is very impressive! Congratulations! That's wonderful! Actually, #5 is the best eating style, especially if you count calories as well as carbs, because those who eat that way are more likely to keep the weight off long term. That's the eating style I'd like to try next.

    I meant to talk about those who are very overweight in my post, but somehow that topic fell through the cracks. I don't see why you wouldn't be able to get yourself below 200 pounds, because the amount of calories needed to sustain 190 pounds would be large enough to keep you from being hungry. Most low carbers refuse to count calories and continue to eat large amounts of food.

    Since my metabolism is so slow (I can only eat about 10 calories per pound of body weight or I start to gain), reaching 125 pounds isn't sustainable for me. I've come to understand that...finally.

    But I know several other low carbers who are completely satisfied on that small amount of calories (1,000 to 1,200). Course, they don't have problems digesting fats, like I do, so maybe that's why it works for them.

    Sometimes, the body plateaus by gaining and losing the same two or three pounds over and over. Then it decides to chuck the water it's accumulated, and drops some more weight. That isn't uncommon.

    Is this your first time doing a low-carb diet? Or have you done this before? How many calories are you eating? And how tall are you?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Losing over 200p great job what can I tell more about this only great.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment