Green Beans with Ham or Bacon (Keto Crockpot Recipe)


Green Bean and Ham Soup in a Crockpot
My Green Bean and Ham Soup
 (Crockpot Recipe)

Here in Utah, the weather has been fickle this past summer. Temps have reached unusual highs for days at a time, but it has also rained a lot.

While the weather hasn't been cold enough to make a pot of soup yet, this green bean and ham crockpot recipe can be served as a side dish by using a slotted spoon to scoop out the good stuff.

That way you don't have to wait for soup weather to make this yummy treat. If you choose to serve it as a side dish, don't forget to add a pat of butter to the top of your serving. Flavorful stuff!


Most of the time, I make this soup using raw bacon end pieces instead of ham because we are partial to the Sugardale brand of ham, and stores in our local area do not carry it as often as we would like.

Usually, it just shows up during holidays, such as Mother's Day or Easter.

We did find a pile of Sugardale ham steaks at LoLo's grocery, a relatively new store around here that is managed by the original Food4Less folks. LoLo's is owned by Ridley's grocery store. But they wanted about $6 for a single steak. That was quite expensive for a 1-lb slice of ham.

I didn't measure the amount of fresh green beans I used for this recipe. We purchased them from a roadside stand that charged us $5 for a whole bucketful. I would guess that I used about 2 pounds. But I'm not sure about that.

Usually, I just buy a large bag full, about what you could fit into your crockpot with a ham bone added. Make sure that if you're using fresh green beans you cut off both ends. The end with that curly tip is supposed to be toxic.

I just used basic seasonings for this soup because the ham or bacon really carries the flavor well. You won't find a better crockpot recipe than green beans with ham or bacon.

Pinterest Image: My Green Bean Soup with Ham

Keto Green Bean Crockpot Soup with Ham

Ingredients:
  • about 2 pounds of fresh green beans, both ends cut off
  • small chopped onion
  • 16-ounce can stewed tomatoes
  • large spoonful minced garlic
  • ham bone with lots of meat still attached
  • seasoning salt, seasoned pepper, garlic powder, onion powder
  • 1 teaspoon of Better Than Bouillon, chicken flavoring
Method:

Simply pile everything except for the chicken bouillon into your crockpot.

Fill the crockpot with enough water to cover the beans. I probably filled the crock about half way, then added the teaspoon of bouillon paste. You could also use a bouillon powder if you'd like to. I gave the water a bit of a stir, but didn't worry about dissolving the paste because the bouillon will melt when the water comes to a boil.

Allow the crockpot to simmer on low heat for most of the day, until the green beans are nice and soft. The older the green beans are when picked, the longer they will take to cook.

Vickie Ewell Bio



Comments

  1. Sounds so good! I have a couple of small boneless ham steaks that I was going to use with this recipe in my instant pot. I'd like to try for a more stew-like consistency since this recipe looks more like a soup. I usually pressure cook stews using a little tomato sauce and sofrito for the base, along with a couple of carrots and some celery as well, then thicken with a little xanthan gum after depressurizing. I don't think the carrots would bring up the carb count too much. Maybe I'll cook some sauteed cabbage to go on the side! My mouth is watering - thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are some nice tweaks. So, you like the instant pot? I've been wondering about it. Never cooked in a pressure cooker before. Only canned that way.

      Delete

Post a Comment