Zucchini-Tomato Medley


Fried Zucchini with Tomatoes and Onions
What to do with your huge zucchini harvest!
Here's what I did with ours.

I'm always trying to come up with new zucchini and summer squash recipes, since summer squashes are extremely easy to grow, even here in Utah with an extremely short growing season.

Although, some years we get caught in an early frost, if you have a lengthy growing season, or even an average one, you might get a bumper crop every single year.

We're doing good if we can squeeze out a 75 to 90-day growing season before the hail destroys the plants when we were living in Utah.


Ordinarily, I just saute up a couple of squashes with a bit of chopped onion, and maybe some bacon and bell peppers -- if I have enough carbs left for the day. Or I'll throw the squash into a steamed veggie mix.

Sometimes, I'll take a bit of extra time, batter it with a Carbquick batter, and deep fry the vegetable rounds in peanut oil.

But this time, I decided to try a new combination.

I didn't want to steam the squash because I needed to save the fresh green beans I have for some ham-bean soup. I didn't want to fry it because hubby is waiting for me to make Sweet and Sour Pork again since I now have pineapple Davinci syrup, so I thought I'd try a zucchini-tomato combination.

I've never done anything even remotely close to this, but it turned out pretty good.

Pinterest Image: Zucchini-Tomato Medley


Zucchini-Tomato Medley

Makes 2 servings

Ingredients:

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium zucchini, sliced
1/4 cup chopped purple onion
1/4 cup chopped bell pepper
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
a touch of seasoning salt and pepper
1 Roma type tomato, chopped

Heat the olive oil up in a skillet, then add the zucchini, onion, bell pepper, garlic, and spices. Cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are about 3/4 done. Carefully stir in the chopped fresh tomato and finish cooking.

About 6-1/2 net carbs per serving.

Vickie Ewell Bio


Comments