Easy Strawberry Pie (Sugar Free and Low Carb)

Fresh Strawberry Pie that's sugar free, low carb, and vegetarian
Do you need a great low-carb dessert?
This easy keto strawberry pie will satisfy you and family.

Fresh strawberry pie was one of my favorite desserts growing up. I used to love those berries when I went to Utah to spend the summer with family.

We lived in Southern California then, but some of my extended family lived in Utah. I can still remember going with my grandmother to the pick-your-own fields where we could pick fresh strawberries and raspberries when they were in season.

During summer vacation, my aunt used to bring home a fresh strawberry pie, chock-full of whole strawberries held together with a special glaze. Then, we'd devour the whole thing between just the two of us before grandma got home from work, so she wouldn't know we had bought one.

Berries were a big deal there. Still are right now to me, but I don't have to eat the whole pie anymore. I can just have a little piece and be okay with that. Because after the first couple of bites, sweets don't taste as well as the first bite does.

Recently, I ran into a recipe that was similar to the fresh strawberry pie that my aunt used to buy when I would spend the summers in Utah. I got pretty excited about it, because I had lots of frozen whole berries in the freezer.

I made it for hubby with the ingredients that I already had in the house.

Hubby really loved it made that way.

It was so encouraging, that I went out to the store and picked up the sugar-free ingredients I needed to make one for myself.
I didn't want to post the recipe until I was sure that it would work without sugar for those who can't eat real sugar.

Pinterest Image: A Fresh Strawberry Pie

How to Make a Sugar-Free Strawberry Pie


This recipe uses packaged sugar-free jello and pudding mixes. It wasn't very sweet made this way, without any sugar and using mixes, but since I topped it with freshly whipped cream, it made a nice low-carb strawberry pie.

The carb count was a bit high for me.



I made it in a very large, quiche type pie plate. The pie pan was too bit, so I had to double both the fruit and the glaze. You don't have to make it that way. You can cut down on the carbs by using the original recipe, which I'll provide in just a minute.

I didn't use fresh strawberries when I made the pie. I used frozen whole strawberries I had frozen earlier in the year. I had stored them in zip lock bags in the freezer. I also had quart bags of sliced strawberries, so I used some of those to fill in the gaps that the whole berries made.

I set the whole berries carefully onto the prepared pie shell while they were still frozen. I was afraid that if I tried to thaw them out, they would turn to mush, so I kept them in their frozen state and let them thaw gradually in the refrigerator.

Keeping them frozen worked beautifully.

I was able to keep them looking as pretty as they looked when I first arranged them. And after pouring on the glaze, they looked as beautiful as when I first started making the pie.

When I cut into the pie, once the whole thing was set up, no one could tell that the pie wasn't made with fresh berries. They looked perfect to me.

*NOTE: If you can eat sugar, or you are on maintenance, just use regular mixes and skip the sugar free.

Easy Ketogenic Strawberry Pie


8 servings (6 net carbs each)

Ingredients:

1-1/2 cups almond meal
sweetener equal to 2 tablespoons sugar
2 tbsp melted butter
1 egg white
2 cups whole strawberries (frozen is best but don't thaw them out first)
1 cup sliced strawberries (frozen is best but don't thaw them out first)
1 small package cook-and-serve sugar-free pudding mix
1 small package sugar-free strawberry gelatin mix
1-1/4 cups water

Combine the almond meal, sweetener, melted butter, and egg white. Mix well. Press the crumbs into pie plate. Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes, just to set. Cool.

When ready to make the pie, fill the crust with whole frozen strawberries, standing them upright on the bottom of the pie shell, point side up, in a single layer. Fill in the open spaces with sliced frozen strawberries.

In a saucepan, whisk together the water, gelatin, and pudding mix. Bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer for a couple of minutes until it's nice and thickened. Pour the glaze over the strawberries.

Chill pie thoroughly. Serve with whipped cream.

Makes 8 servings, about 6 net carbs each


Vickie Ewell Bio



Comments

Post a Comment