Keto Success Story: Captain K’s Unique Approach


Two Baked Chicken Thighs
Some people enjoy eating the exact same thing
day after day, which can work to your advantage.

I absolutely love it when I run across a new keto Success Story. Not only does it give me a reason to pause and reflect upon this way of eating, and maybe try out a few new ideas, but it also gives me an opportunity to gain a little insight that I didn’t have before.

Such is the case with Captain K.


When Info Barrel was alive and well (it's still alive today, just not doing too well), I used to read a lot of weight-loss articles over there. However, finding something useful to pass on to you was like searching for a pearl that was buried in an entire desert filled with sand.

Most articles were determined to call Keto a fad, wanted to preach how low-calorie higher-activity was the one-and-only- way to weight-loss salvation, or they just went on and on, rehashing and regurgitating the same basic dieting concepts that we’ve all read in a hundred weight-loss articles before.

Even though the owners of the site were Paleo and firmly supported low-carb dieters, there was hardly ever anything new or something I wanted to pass on to you.

But Captain K was different.


Pinterest Image: Playing Chess

Captain K was a Real Dieter


Captain K was not just a writer trying to write a weight-loss article from an outside perspective.

He lost 40 pounds in 10 months and wanted to share how he did it, and what he had learned along the way. Even the intro sucked the breath right out of me:

“Once you have gained weight, it becomes a habit to eat what you want, when you want, and how you want.”

He couldn’t have hit any closer to home than that.

This is how I knew he wasn’t pretending to know what he was talking about. He really did know what it was like to gain weight.

And I’d just like to add that when you stop to take a maintenance break, it feels pretty close to the same way.


You get used to eating in a way that maintains your current weight, making it extremely difficult to find the motivation and inspiration you need to get back onto the wagon and complete the weight-loss journey.

Going back to Keto means you have to give up something you already have.

How Did Captain K Do It?


How did Captain K lose those 40 pounds so quickly?

He didn't do it by following your typical low-carb diet. He found a way that was uniquely his own.

First, he zeroed in on one high-carb food at a time. After looking at the calorie count for that particular high-carb food, he replaced it with something that was high in protein instead.

For example:

Glass of Coke
Eliminating the soft drink at lunch
helped Captain K ditch 40 pounds.

The first thing he cut out of his life was regular soda that he had been used to drinking at lunch. Instead of drinking all of that high-fructose corn syrup, he ate a larger burger or a larger portion of chicken, and drank water instead.

To trick his body, he simply replaced the soda with meat, calorie for calorie. He did that, so his body wouldn’t suspect he was doing anything sneaky.

The result?

He didn’t feel deprived or hungry. There was no strong, physical attempt to get himself to go back to the way things were before. That one, simple, drastic cut in carbohydrate content brought success because he chose to own it before moving on.


In addition, he didn’t rush himself either. In fact, he didn’t do anything else for the first couple of months.

He waited for that new behavior to become a permanent habit. A permanent part of his life. A permanent part of HIM.

Only then did he look at himself, his life, his habits, and what he was eating to find a new high-carb food to get rid of.

I Actually Tried This

Since I have been on a moderate-carb, gluten-free diet for several years and gained a bunch of weight due to Graves' Disease and giving up sugar substitutes, I actually tried this method of eliminating sugary soda and doing nothing else to my diet.

What I learned about myself, however, was that the mind found ways to get those calories I was cutting out by increasing my urges for low-carb, high-fat foods.

At the time, I didn't realize this was happening.

I just replaced the regular soda with a diet version.

But after awhile, I realized that I wasn't going to lose any weight that way and started watching myself more closely. Instead of making a high-fat dinner once or twice a week, like I used to do before, I discovered I was reaching for high-fat foods every single day!

Once I caught myself, I was able to work consciously on cutting down on my portion sizes, and I deliberately started to choose high-fat foods less often.

I managed to whittle off 40 pounds in a year eating that way.

But eventually, I reached a point where the body stabilized and began to ramp up the hunger whenever I tried to eat less than I was, so after moving to Texas, I went into a very long stall.


Recently, I discovered that I am now a borderline diabetic, so I tried to go back to a very low-carb diet. I chose to do Atkins Induction to reverse the high blood sugars as quickly as possible. I wasn't really interested in the weight loss, but I did keep an eye on what my weight was doing.

I lost about 10 pounds over the first few weeks eating at 20 net carbs, but then the weight loss stopped cold again, and I haven't lost anything since then.

Surprisingly, I never got the hunger reduction so typical of Atkins this time around. I guess that perk has disappeared. 

For me, unconscious eating flat out doesn't work.

What was Captain K's Low-Carb Approach Based On?


Captain K's low-carb approach was based on the principle of self-observation. After watching people for awhile, he realized that most people eat the same 30 to 50 foods all the time.

His reasoning was that switching out one food for another would then make it less noticeable to the body, since it's used to patterns and habitual forms of living, so for him, the idea worked quite well.

If you don’t believe this is possible, try logging your low-carb diet meals into an online calorie-counting site, such as Fitday, or a downloadable phone app and watch yourself.

Do you tend to eat the same things every week or month?

This is one of the main reasons why we get bored with our diets. We eat the same thing week after week.

Source:

For the complete article, check out Losing 40 Pounds in 10 Months.


Vickie Ewell Bio




Comments