Carbalose Pie Crust (Low Carb)

Pie Crust Dough in Pie Plate
How to make a pie crust
using low-carb carbalose flour.

(NOTE: This crust is low carb but NOT gluten free!)

If you're looking for a decent, low-carb pie crust recipe that you don't have to roll out, you can't go wrong with this simple, classic crust that's made using high-fiber, low-carb carbalose flour.

Super low in carbs, and high in protein, carbalose flour lets you take a classic pie crust recipe and turn it into a low-carb work of art.



For Christmas this year, I made my Strawberry Pie with blueberries instead of sliced strawberries, then I placed it in this Carbalose Pie Crust Recipe (pre-baked) instead of using an almond flour crust.

The crust came out really good. Much better than I had anticipated. Although carbalose flour has a strong taste, once baked into a pie, there was no yucky after taste at all.

Low Carb Pie Crust made with Carbalose Flour

Carbalose Pie Crust


Ingredients:

1-1/2 cups Carbalose flour
3/4 cup butter-flavored shortening
up to 1/4 cup ice water

Cut the shortening into the flour, leaving the chunks slightly larger than peas. Add water a tablespoon at a time and stir gently until you can work it into a dough.

Plop the dough down into the center of your pie dish and gently press it out to fit your pan.

If you need to pre-brown it, you can bake it at 400 degrees for 10 to 15 minutes, until it is lightly browned. If you are filling the pie and then baking it, you don't have to pre-bake it first.

Vickie Ewell Bio



Comments

  1. Thank you for this! I'm fairly new to low-carb cooking, and one of the things I just bought this weekend was the carbalose flour - to try to adapt it to my favourite foods. This will be a great help!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks that's awesome I wasnt sure if pie crusts would turn out with carbalose flour, and it totally did Im a sweet freek so this lifestlye is killing me but now I can have my chocolate pie :) with sugar free pudding

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was crumbly and had a terrible aftertaste. A lot of work and we tossed the pie.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment