Crock Pot Chicken BBQ Style (Low Carb)


BBQ Seasoned Chicken Leg Quarters Arranged in a Throw Away Pan with Red Peppers
Any keto recipe that can be braised in a skillet
can be made in the crock pot.

With summer knocking on the door, you'll want to use the crock pot a lot more to keep from heating up the kitchen.

Anything that can be braised in a skillet makes a great crock pot meal because you won't have to do any conversions. Just toss all the keto-friendly ingredients into the crock and let the pot work it's magic.

That's what I did.

I took the Braised Chicken Recipe from a prior post and tossed it into the crock pot with a few extra spices.



Did you try the Braised Chicken recipe that I posted the other day?

I was so impressed with the flavor that I wanted to try making it in the crock pot.

We don't have central air at our house, so I needed to create a few low-fat low-carb recipes that didn't require me to use the oven, or even the stove, very much.

When I created this recipe, we did have a small window air-conditioning unit, but the only window it fit in was the kitchen window, so summer meant more salads, grilling, and crock pot recipes for us.

I didn't just stick to the recipe. I wanted to fancy it up a bit more and make it taste like those BBQ rotisserie chickens you can pick up at your local grocery store.

Those chickens aren't actually authentic barbecue.

They haven't been tossed on the grill, since the skin is soft and the sauce on them isn't caramelized, but that makes them easier to duplicate in a crock pot.

Pinterest Image: Crockpot Chicken

How I Adapted the Braised Chicken to Make a Crock Pot Meal


To pull it off, I made some drastic changes to the recipe.

I cut down on the amount of diet soda I used when braising and used Dr. Pepper this time instead of Coke. I raised the amount of Sugar-Reduced Catsup to make the chicken come out red.

Tomatoes with Sad Face Looking at Heinz Ketchup Poured Out
Heinz Has a Sugar-Reduced Ketchup that is Now
Targeted Toward Low-Calorie Dieters, but it is Still
Only 1 Carb Per Tablespoon!


Sugar-Reduced Catsup used to be called One-Carb Catsup, but even though Heinz changed the name to make it more attractive to low-calorie dieters and health-conscious consumers, it is still only 1 carb per tablespoon.

It is the exact same recipe that Heinz used before.

I also tossed in some extra seasoning to make the chicken more tasty. We like our food well-seasoned.

I think this recipe would also work with plain tomato sauce, instead of the catsup, since the amount you use is so small and tomato sauce is how I usually make my barbecue sauce, anyway.

So if you try this recipe that way, please tell us what you think in the comments below!

Crock Pot Chicken BBQ Style

Ingredients:
  • 4 chicken leg quarters, cut up
  • 1/4 cup Reduced-Sugar Catsup
  • 2 tbsp diet Dr. Pepper
  • 1 tsp hot spicy mustard
  • 2 tsp Splenda (1 packet)
  • 1 tsp onion powder
  • a drop or two of liquid smoke
  • 1/2 tsp barbecue spice
  • 1/4 tsp pepper
Place chicken pieces in the bottom of your crock pot. If they are still frozen, that's okay. They'll have plenty of time to cook.

In a small bowl, mix together the rest of the ingredients and stir well. Once blended, pour the sauce over the chicken. Cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.

A newer crock pot cooks hotter than the older ones, so it might only take 4 to 6 hours instead.

Vickie Ewell Bio


Comments